We can instantly connect with anyone online, but does that make them a tried and true friend?
On the other hand, the friends you thought you could count on in real life can turn out to be just as distant, flaky, and unreliable than people you’ve connected with in the cyber world. Studies show that even if people have thousands of Facebook friends, they usually only maintain close relationships with a few people in real life.
“I GET BY WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS.”
THE BEATLES 1967
BELOW YOU WILL FIND 13 QUALITIES THAT SET REAL FRIENDS APART FROM THE OTHER RELATIONSHIPS IN OUR LIVES.
1. They don’t make you feel like a horrible person for passing on invitations because you have to do things important to your education, career or the betterment of yourself in general.
2. You feel comfortable enough at their place to raid the refrigerator.
4. Much like with family members, you can go extended stretches of weeks or months without talking and hanging out consistently, yet there’s no doubts about your relationship.
5. If you throw a huge party that results in your place being trashed, look around at cleanup time. Anyone so much as stacking red SOLO cups or pouring out half-drunken beers is worthy of considering a friend.
6. Any little favors they’ve done for you in the past aren’t kept on track of, and vice versa.
7. If someone slings their name through the mud, you take offense, interrupt and kill any bashing immediately, and they’ll do the exact same for you.
8. They are sincerely happy to see you have any type of success.
9. Your interaction naturally begins and ends with casual insults the majority of the time.
10. Even when involved in relationships, they don’t fall off the grid or blow your friendship off entirely.
11. They don’t let you do anything stupid, well at least not by yourself.
12. During the lowest of lows, they don’t give up on you even if you’ve given up on yourself.
13. There are silences, but they don’t feel the least bit uncomfortable or awkward. If you can sit down and shut up with a person, never feeling obligated to fill that hushed void, you’ve got a special connection.